Investor Visa (Investor 2 Category)
- You should have a minimum of 3 years of experience in running a business.
- You must be proficient in English language as per the New Zealand immigration norms.
- Your family members must meet the same English language requirements.
- You must not be any older than 65 years.
- Remember that there is a quota of 400 visas per year only.
Investor Plus Visa (Investor 1 Category)
The duration of the investor plus visa is three years. One must stay invested in the country for this duration for a grant of resident status. This visa requires you to stay in the country for 44 days each year of the previous two years or 88 days over the entire validity of the visa.
What is the Acceptable Investment Criteria For NZ Investor Visas?
Investor Visa Acceptable Investments
- Your investment should be able to demonstrate a financial return.
- Your investment should be made in New Zealand.
- The currency on investment must be New Zealand Dollars only.
- Your investment should be in a legal enterprise or managed funds.
- Your investment must contribute to the country’s economy.
- Your invested money cannot be used for your personal expenses or use.
If You Are Investing in Bonds
- Bonds should be issued by the New Zealand government or local bodies authorized to do so.
- Bonds should be issued by those companies that are listed on NZDX.
- Bonds should have a minimum rating of BBB-; they should be rated by any international rating agency of repute.
- Investments in bonds issued by New Zealand banks are also an acceptable investment option.
- Investments in bonds of New Zealand based finance companies are also acceptable.
If You are Investing in Equity
- Equity can be of public or private New Zealand based firms.
- Equity can be of banks registered in New Zealand.
- Eligible New Zealand venture capital funds.
If You Are Investing in Property
- The property can be a residential development project.
- It can also be a commercial project.
Other Valid Investment Options
Investing in New Zealand by Forming a Trust, Company & LLP
- You are the sole trustee
- You, your partner, or dependent children are acting as trustees.
- You can also include a professional trustee.
- Do take note that the inclusion of a commercial trustee is not allowed under this arrangement.
Utilizing Investment Funds To Acquire a New Zealand Investor Visa
As already mentioned above, you have to keep your investment locked in the investment vehicle of your choice for the minimum stipulated period of time. Not doing so will result in the violation of visa policies, and you may lose privileges that were promised to you.
When Does the Investment Period Begin?
2-Year Check on Investments
- New and updated portfolio valuation report of your investments.
- A letter from your bank or financial institution that confirms the amount of funds invested.
- Sales and purchase reports of the investments, if any.
- Agreements or contracts in case you have shited your investments from one investment vehicle to another.
- You are supposed to submit the requisite information within 3 months from your 2nd year investment anniversary.
Changing the Acceptable Investment Vehicle During the Investment Period
What Happens if Your Residence is Approved in Principle?
- Your investment funds are approved by the government as a valid investment instrument, or.
- You meet the underlying criteria and get approval in principle before the transfer of funds.