2021 Resident Visa - Snapshot
- Standalone NZ resident visa with a clear pathway to resident status
- Allows for quicker family settlement in NZ
- Minimal risk of refusal
The 2021 resident visa is a completely new immigration option created by NZ immigration. The best feature of this visa is that NZ based employers can be assured of the fact that their migrant workforce will not be asked to leave and will continue to provide their services under the skills shortage category. This is a very practical move considering the fact that COVID induced border restrictions had created a difficult situation in the near past.
The new resident visa would also allow the migrant workers to permanently settle here in New Zealand provided they are already in existing employment that falls under the skills shortage category. This new development will certainly add to the incentive to stay and work here. Family settlement is also now more flexible and easier than before.
Another striking feature of this visa is the special provisions for health care and other critical services workers who come under the purview of border expectations to have a clear pathway towards resident status. In a nutshell they would know exactly how they can live permanently here along with their dependent families and what are the benefits they would be allowed to reap under the scheme.
What we mentioned above are the holistic objectives of the new resident visa 2021. Now we will shed some light on the process of the same so that our readers get some valuable inputs on the same.
NZ Resident Visa - 2021 - The Process
Here are the highlighting features of the NZ Resident Visa 2021 application process. It would help one understand the application modalities in a proper manner.
- You have to make the application online.
- You would need a valid Real Me identification for the same.
- You would need to upload all the evidence that is required with the application.
- Phase one of applications are processed within 3 days.
- Skills based applications might take a little longer for processing.
It’s worth noting that the entire process can be taken care of by a licensed immigration adviser on your behalf. Presently what we know of is that phase one of the process is getting completed in a matter of few days, however the settled criterion timelines and skilled faction category takes a little bit longer to get processed. It depends upon the nature of the skilled job you are engaged in and the manner in which the application is being made. In a nutshell if all your required documents are submitted.
The timelines for the processing of the applications that we have experienced by far is around 12 months. Immigration NZ expects around 15000 applications for the first three months starting from 1 December 2021. Auckland, Hamilton and Christchurch offices will be handling the operational modalities for this season of applications.
“Please note that there is zero scope for exceptions and discretion for new NZ Resident Visa -2021”
Since there is no scope of discretion or exceptions hence it is obvious that the applicant has to provide authentic and verifiable information, any laxity in that would surely lead to rejection of the application without any chance of editing or making amends. That’s why we always recommended taking the help and services of a licensed immigration adviser like us for making the application.
Phase 1 is presently enforced and applications are being taken from migrant workers and their dependent family members.
List of work visa categories that the principal applicant as on 29th September 2021
- Post Study Work Visa
- Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Religious Worker Work Visa
- Talent (Arts, Culture, Sports) Work Visa
- Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa
- Trafficking Victim Work Visa
- Migrant Exploitation Protection Work Visa
- Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Work Visa
- Victims of Family Violence Work Visa
- South Island Contribution Work Visa
- Work Visa granted under Section 61 (provided the applicant held another eligible visa type within 6 months before being granted a Section 61 visa)
- Some Critical Purpose Visitor Visas (CPVV):
- Critical health workers for longer-term roles (6 months or longer), and
- Other critical workers for long term roles (more than 6 months)
If the applicant has held the critical purpose visitor visa as on 29 September 2021 but has recently had modification or acquired another type of visa and nurses who were waitlisted for occupational registration are allowed to apply. In addition to this, critical purpose visa holders arriving in NZ between 30 September 2021 and 31 July 2022 are also allowed to apply for the new visa.
Critical Purpose Visa Holders That Are Not Allowed To Apply in Phase - 1
- Fishing crews
- Agriculture plant operators
- Horticulture plant operators
- Recognized seasonal employer visa holders
Other Notable Points
- Main applicant needs to be in NZ at the time of filing an expression of interest.
The main applicant should have been in NZ on 29 September 2021.
- The main applicant should have a valid visa .
- A person who was in Australia on that date, and had departed New Zealand to be in Australia between 6 April and 23 July 2021 is also eligible to apply.
- Application process has two distinct time bound phases.
- The cutoff date for all the phases is 31 July 2022.
- Applications under phase 1 can be made from 1 December 2021 to 1 March 2022.
- One can also apply later till July 31, 2022.
This phase has already started from 1 Dec 2021, it is still prevalent and applications can be made by submitting the online form. This process starts by applying for EoI, this process can be undertaken by those who had applied for EOI on or before 29 September 2021.
There are many rules that apply for phase 1 of applications – Connect with one of our immigration advisers to know more.
This phase will commence from 1 March 2022, it will be open for even those critical purpose visa holders who were not eligible to apply in the phase 1 of the process.
Please note that if you are a critical purpose visa holder who figures out in the list that is not allowed to apply in phase 1 then it is vitally important for you to NOT apply in the phase -1, you must apply in the PHASE-2 of the visa application ONLY.
All applicants irrespective of the phase they are applying in, must fulfil all health and character criteria. This is equally applicable to their family members.
Avenues for the Principal Applicant Where He Can Apply
Presently there are three categories where the eligible principal can apply for the new resident visa – 2021. They are settled,skilled and scarce. Let’s explore the options further.
Here is what you need to know about this category:
- Applicants should have been in NZ on or before 29 September 2018.
- Applicants should have been in NZ for 821 days between 29 Sept 2018 to 29 Sept 2021.
Here is what you need to know about this category:
- Applicants must be able to prove that he received a minimum of 27 NZD per hour while at work.
- This pay rate was applicable as on 29 September 2021 for the role specified in the visa.
- Only full time employment will be acceptable.
- Contract work can be considered if the applicant can prove that it has been the regular mode of work for them.
- If the wage rate was reduced due to COVID and it can be proved that it was reversed afterwards, then the applicant is allowed to apply.
- Extra documentation may be required if the pay rate has not been established.
To know more about the remuneration calculations we would urge you to connect with one of our licensed immigration advisers.
In order to be eligible to apply under this category the applicant must have their occupation listed on the scare list which includes:
- Long term skills shortage list.
- Personal care givers and critical health workers.
- Primary sector roles.
- Health and education sector vocations requiring occupational registration.
To get more clarity on this please visit : https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/already-have-a-visa/one-off-residence-visa/2021-resident-visa-scarce-lists
Holders of Critical Purpose Visas
If you hold a critical purpose work visa that is long term in nature i.e for more than 6 months in validity, then you don’t need to meet the above mentioned criterion mentioned in the categories provided the critical purpose visa was granted on or before 29 september 2021. If you meet this requirement then you must apply for the new resident visa 2021,31 july 2022.
In case you are a nurse and you have been granted a critical purpose visa for occupational registration, then you must pass your competence test in order to be eligible to apply for a new resident visa.
Inclusion of family members
One of the striking features of the new resident visa NZ is the fact that partners and dependent children whether living in NZ or overseas are allowed to be included in the application.
However all other rules for the application remain the same. You would have to prove the partnership status and child status as per the existing rules as laid down by NZ immigration. Feel free to connect with us to know more about it.
Other requirements and information
Every applicant has to meet the health and character requirements as per the existing rules. You must be dead honest while furnishing information here as if the information you have furnished is found to be malafide then rejection of visa is certain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is the set of questions that are most frequently asked by the people approaching us for a new NZ resident visa 2021. Hope it helps our readers.
Can I make the application and move out of NZ for any reason?
The answer is a clear no. Rules are very clear on this, if you have travelled after applying for this visa then your application will be deemed cancelled. In fact it will not be approved until you are back in the country.
My partner is presently living outside New Zealand. Can I include them in the application?
Yes, the new resident visa allows the principal applicant to include their partner in the application even if they have been living overseas when the application is made. It is not mandatory at any stage of the application that your partner should be residing with you in NZ when the application is made.
However the regular rules for establishing the partnership apply. You have to prove to the immigration department that you are in a bonafide relationship with your partner. Please talk to one of our immigration consultants to understand the requirements wholly. It would help you to get a single shot approval that too quickly.
During the processing of the application, I am required to apply for a new work visa. Will this affect my 2021 residence visa eligibility?
Note this carefully, if you have applied for the new resident visa, you would automatically get a 12 month interim visa in case your work visa expires while the new resident visa is still under process. You don’t have to apply for the work visa, it will be automatically granted. Visa conditions remain the same. To know more, connect with our visa adviser now.
Do I have to certify supporting documents as true copies?
No need, the immigration department has its own system to verify the documents you furnish them with.